It's always an exciting time - that Friday morning of the rally. Headquarters is buzzing with excitement and we are extremely busy preparing for the impending doom...er we mean the amazing weekend to come!
As registration opens up, so do the flood gates of mad bastard attendees. Usually still in street clothes, we are excited to see the old familiar faces of our Alumni, and finally put a face to a name of a Newbie. There is definitely an energy in the air, and after registration, most people head out to the parking lot to scope out the competition.
ATTENDING THE RIDER MEETING IN COSTUME IS MANDATORY
Seriously though, if you show up to the Rider Meeting in jeans and a t-shirt, you're gonna be the odd man/woman out! Don't be tardy, and don't forget to "bring it"!
The Unconventional awards for 2019
It was in 2015 when we took over the MBSR from the grandest of grand fromages Rob Harris & CMG that we introduced a couple of new recognition type awards to the rally, some of which are presented at the Friday Rider Meeting.
1. "Best in Show" - This is our award for best costume, with a twist. We invite our "Little" guests from Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peterborough to make the important decision as to who will win this prize.
2. "The Do-Gooder" - Awarded to the Bastard who raises the most funds for our incredible charity Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peterborough.
3. "The Weary Traveller" - Awarded to the Bastard who travels the farthest to attend the rally.
4. "The Old Fart" - Not what you think it is.... we're talking about the oldest scooter, not the oldest Bastard!
5. "The Eager Beaver" - Awarded to the Bastard who could hardly wait for registration to open, and inevitably is the first one to register!
An award with meaning
While our unconventional award winners get recognized at the Friday rider meeting, we have a special award that we introduced at the 2017 MBSR - the Rob Harris Spirit Award created in memory of the beloved and very much missed Rob Harris who created the Mad Bastard Scooter Rally.
There is no real criteria for the Rob Harris Spirit Award (and if you ever worked behind the scenes of the MBSR with Rob as we did many times, you will know that this too is a tribute to him). Our decision will be based on our gut and likely won't be made until a few moments before the Sunday Awards Brunch.
that's everything from HQ today!